Monday 15 August 2016

HUBBARD GLACIER

HUBBARD GLACIER

I awoke feeling particularly awful as my cold has me firmly in its grip. I only got up as we approached the Hubbard Glacier, 75 miles long, and rising 300 feet above the ocean. This glacier is actively calving and we were lucky enough to see several large chunks of ice break off and fall into the ocean. The noise reminded me of thunder. We saw the splash and then heard the noise. Once again, we saw lots of the lovely colours of the ice as it was raining hard and overcast the entire time. I cannot remember when I last saw blue sky and sunshine.
Since we were dressed we went up to the buffet breakfast where we sat next to the only other birder on board, Kurt. Then back to bed. We ordered lunch in the room - a Thai spicy soup which felt wonderful on my sore throat. A large pot of ginger tea with honey and lemon also helped. After another long nap, I finally have enough energy to work on this blog.
The art show is from 5 to 6 this evening where we get to pick up our masterpieces. Think we'll have dinner in our room again tonight.
Tomorrow we dock in Seward where the rest of the passengers on the NW Passage cruise join us and we get our new parkas. It's another day to recuperate from this cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment