Tuesday 16 August 2016

SEWARD

SEWARD

What a difference a day makes! We woke to sunshine! We could see the mountains! Norma was much more energetic than me still suffering from this chest cold and was walking with the Nordic poles by 6 a.m. When I finally lurched out of bed an hour later, I took the opportunity to do a short walk with mine. Then it was off to breakfast. I still have no appetite. Norma says I may fit into my parka if this keeps up!
After a few false starts, we set off for the town of Seward - we needed photo ID, then found out we didn't after we were sent back for it. We were just about to get on Crystal's free shuttle service which was almost empty when we were told we had to wait for the next one and it pulled away. Impatient to get going, I elected to walk to town - 2 miles. It was quite a pleasant walk once we left the port area - saw a magpie. Walked along the harbour and a trail along the bay. We still hadn't found the downtown. We did see a shuttle stop. Another couple was waiting so we sat down. Two Crystal shuttles went by and did not stop despite our frantic waves. We never did find out where we could catch it. Instead, we took the town shuttle, (after a half-hour wait) a yellow school bus.
Back on board, we went to book our extra specialty restaurants (we got 6 more sittings), then for lunch, followed by a nap, and a trip to the computer lab to get reconnected. Now we are waiting for the mandatory life boat drill then hope to get down for dinner in the dining room. I seem to have lost my voice so won't be much of a dinner companion tonight.
Tomorrow, we are in Kodiak, where I have a hike scheduled and Norma is wait listed. We hope someone cancels so that she can get on it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment